Saturday, June 20, 2009

What is a diabetic to eat? Why can't he feed himself?

Do you have to fix the meals for a diabetic? Well I do too! Some days it seems o.k. but some days I do not want to face cooking one more meal for him. Him is my husband, Bud, you know! Click Here!

No matter what I fix, he wants something else. He is always looking for some pie, cake or dessert of some kind! If I fix a salad, fish, and broccoli, he wants a salad, baked potato, corn on the cob and a piece of coconut pie! Click Here!

I explain to him over and over the eating rules, but he does not care! He wants what he wants and he wants it now! So in frustration, I tell him to fix his own and I end up letting him do what he wants. I cannot control him. He is an adult and I cannot make the choices for him. It does not work when I try! He will not eat it anyway. Click Here!

I just want him to eat the way the nutritionist advised him to eat, but he will not! All I can do is cook the healthy food, set it on the table and hope he eats it.

Here lately I am trying to prepare food from the low-glycemic index. The glycemic index ranks foods, mainly carbohydrates, by how quickly they raise levels of blood sugar and insulin in the body. There are 3 categories, low, moderate and high glycemic foods. Proponents of this plan claim eating foods mostly from the low group helps people maintain a healthy weight and prevent developing heart disease, diabetes, and certain cancers. Click Here!

What this means is carbohydrates are divided into two categories: white foods like white bread that affects blood sugar dramatically and foods rich in wheat and oats which do not affect blood sugar so rapidly. I buy wheat and whole oats products and basically that is what we eat. Click Here!

This low glycemic diet plan can be helpful in preventing type 2 diabetes. Of course I am very interested in doing that since both my husband and my mother are affected by diabetes. It has been shown that replacing foods in the high foods with ones in the low foods will help people who have diabetes better manage their blood sugar levels! Click Here!

If you can substitute foods in the high group with ones in the low group, your husband will probably never know you did that. They taste great and they are so much healthier for you! In the long run it will help you better manage your blood sugar levels.

My goal is to try and make the foods taste good without having all those carbohydrates and calories. I am trying to keep my husband healthy and free from the complications of diabetes. Sometimes I wonder why I bother! Click Here!

But, I have lived with him some 25 years and I would be lost without him. So I keep on trying.

See you at the dinner table!

No comments:

Post a Comment